Empires Apart: America & Russia from the Vikings to Iraq ( Editura: Picnic Publishing/Books Outlet, Autor: Brian Landers ISBN 9780955861321 )
They both developed an imperial 'ideology' that was central to the way they perceived themselves. Then, in the period between the American Civil War and the Spanish-American War, the American ideology changed and the lust for new territory to conquer largely disappeared. It is argued that what caused this change was the advent of Big Business which set out to conquer the world in a different way. Soon after, the ideology of the Russian Empire also changed with the advent of Communism. The key argument of this book is that these changes did not alter the core imperial values of either nation; both Russians and Americans continued to believe that their manifest destiny was to impose their will on others. Corporatist and Communist imperialism changed only the mechanics of Empire.
Both nations have shown that they are still willing to use military force and clandestine intrigue to enforce imperial control. In order to support these arguments, it is necessary to strip away many of the preconceptions of popular history and this book uses numerous anecdotes to illustrate events as they really happened. The most pervasive preconception is that America has never been an 'imperial' power, by recounting the history of the two nations alongside each other this preconception is decisively dissolved.
Cărți noi- United States History
- Empires Apart: America & Russia from the Vikings to Iraq ( Editura: Picnic Publishing/Books Outlet, Autor: Brian Landers ISBN 9780955861321 )15,00 RON
- The Quest for Radovan Karadzic ( Editura: Hutchinson/Books Outlet, Autor: Nick Hawton ISBN 9780091925680 )20,00 RON
- The Novel-writer's Toolkit ( Editura: David&Charles/Books Outlet, Autor: Caroline Taggart ISBN 9781446300503 )20,00 RON
- Lumea de maine. Ce urmeaza dupa pandemie? Reflectii si proiectii (Editura: Curtea Veche isbn 978-606-44-0681-1)63,00 RON70,00 RON (-10%)
- 54,00 RON60,00 RON (-10%)
- 34,20 RON38,00 RON (-10%)